Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Potty training...

So yes, we've been potty training Peyton since the beginning of February. It's been a huge challenge to say the least. Last Tuesday, on Feb 22 Peyton pee pee'd in the potty! I thought..."yay! Maybe now I can get her excited about it...and now she will know what pee pee is, and what it means to go potty." Wrong, wrong, wrong. I should've known better than to think it would only take one pee pee for it to sink into a toddler's brain.
Anyhow, the following Friday, Feb 25, Peyton did #2 in the potty. Let me just say, she was much more excited about that! I think b/c I got her off the toilet, showed her what she did, let her "pretend" wipe, throw the TP in the toilet and say "bye bye" to her "potty". Then she got to flush...so the whole process was fun for her. Believe me when I say, while she was going, she had no idea what she was doing.
Today, March 1st, she did another #2 in the potty. I was really thrilled this time for her, as she had an audience! I was babysitting Harley at the time, who clapped for her and tried to flush the toilet for her, but I let Peyton do the honors. :)

So, the question remains...how do I get her to pee pee in the potty again? She only did that once, and acted so nonchalant about it. The past 2 days she will actually say "potty" but only AFTER she pees in her diaper. So I am glad she is recognizing WHAT it is. We were sitting at the dinner table, and she start to say "potty" which honestly sounded like she was saying "bite, bite" - she never says that. So I kept trying to give her a bite of food, and she'd say "NO" and shake her head. When it finally hit me what she was telling me, it was too late. She went pee pee in her diaper. (sigh)

Soon we'll try the whole wearing nothing but training pants...NOT pullups. I refuse pullups b/c they are so much like diapers, I think it would confuse her young mind. My mom had bought us cotton training pants when we were little, and (being the pack rat that she is) saved them all and gave them to me! Of course, there's only a couple of white ones...so I'll be purchasing more white training pants soon (so I can just bleach them in case something BAD happens!) I really didn't know places still made cotton training pants...but looks like I'll have to order them. No stores carry them...which is bullcrap!

Trust me, I'll blog and tell you all about the messes I'll be cleaning up around the house when we start this craziness...TJ is on night work and I think I'm going to wait until his next off day to start...which means this FRIDAY! I'm a little nervous, but I really think if she can feel the wetness, she will know every single time she goes potty...and hopefully that will probe her to use the potty rather than being messy. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment